Monday, January 11, 2016

New year, new projects

I have all kinds of plans swimming through my head for our house.  Some are small and fairly inexpensive and some we need to win the lottery to execute.  Many of my smaller scale, don't need to win the lottery to accomplish projects will take place in our kitchen/dining room.  

For as long as I can remember as a kid, I have been obsessed with window benches/seats.  I dreamed of lounging/reading/eating in a window seat.  I don't think I even knew anyone that had one which must have made them all the more coveted.  Fast forward to me at 26 years old, buying a house with a perfect place for a window seat and the idea didn't even dawn on me until 10 years later!  I can't believe it took me so long to see what was right in front of me, the perfect place for a window seat! 


Sure, it looks just fine like this but isn't it just screaming for a built-in window seat?!?  Yes?  No?  Well, I think so and I will build some storage in it too.

Moving on.  I have some more ideas for enhancing the fireplace wall following the most genius furniture move of 2014.  Here is what it looks like in its current state...


Looks fine now but wouldn't it look more purposeful with some architectural detail in the form of a "wall" that is planked and is wider than the fireplace and goes up to the ceiling with some trim and crown molding?  


And wouldn't it be even better if those hideous cords could be hidden?  Yes?  Are you still with me?  Well this project should be done in the next few weeks and you can see if you like it after the reveal.

Finally, the project that is most involved and requires some custom work by my dad is my kitchen island makeover.

It is perfectly functional and does the job right now but don't you think it would be nice to have some storage and a beverage fridge under it and have it a bit longer with a nice butcher block counter top??  Yes?  Can you envision it?

Of course, this will lead to a lighting change in this area but I am up to the challenge.


So I am hoping to get these projects done before June.  And will this be the year that I give in and paint my trim white already???

Stay tuned for reveals!


No comments: