Saturday, August 29, 2015

Stuff

Did you ever get some news about someone that was so horrible you just wanted to purge it out of your mind so you didn't have to think about it and its affects every waking minute?  Maybe unload the information onto other people so they could help carry the burden for you?  I am sure everyone has.  As I get older, I seem to be collecting more of these moments and it just plain sucks.  I know that life will continue to have ugly, gut-wrenching moments because that is the rule, not the exception.   I know that we don't get to pick and chose the people to which these moments occur and I wouldn't want to do that anyway.  I know there are no exemptions.


I haven't done much craft projects lately but when I get ugly news, I am compelled to busy myself making something pretty.  Obviously it won't fix or change anything other than distracting me and that is ok.

A special little lady is turning 4 tomorrow and it was the perfect opportunity to DIY one of those adorable fabric take along dollhouses.  I used this tutorial.  It has pictures of all the steps, which I failed to do and usually fail to do because I am typically in such a hurry I can't stop to bother to photo document the process.

Basically, you cut some pieces out of some plastic cross stitch sheets for the house sides, bottom and roof.  Then you wrap them all with quilt batting and I used duct tape to secure the batting.


Then you layout your fabric after you have sewed your roof material to your house material for the outside.  Place your pieces over that piece of fabric which should be place "right side in."


Then you will need place your fabric for the inside of the house and "garden" over the top "right side in."  It is during this step that you include the sides of the house as well (see linked post above for diagrams and much better explanations).  Sorry, no pic for this step:(  Pin down the long sides and one of the short sides.  Make sure to add some elastic loops for closing the house up (I used elastic hair ties) and rope, ribbon or fabric for handles during this step (I used rope).  Remove the pieces and sew the pinned sides.  Turn "right side out" and place your pieces inside.  Pin along the pieces and then sew the pinned lines so the pieces are each in their own compartment.  Sew up the last short side.  Once that is done, you can fold up the house and hand stitch the sides to the back of the house that does not have the garden. Add buttons for closure and embellish with fabric or felt.

DIY fabric take along dollhouse:





These are so adorable.  I enjoyed just having this sitting on my dining room table the past week.  I am about halfway done with Sully and Sydney's houses for Christmas.  Options for what to put in and use with the houses include Polly Pockets, Disney princess palace pets, animals (if you chose to make a barn) or cars (if you chose to make a garage).  Now to pack up this house for the birthday girl!



No comments: