Sunday, October 27, 2013

Full Weekend!

We had a very busy weekend around here...along with more firsts.

First up on Saturday morning, I took Sully to the clinic and we got our flu shots.  He did really well with very minimal crying.  I was a proud Mama.

Then we participated in the Madison Area Down Syndrome Society Buddy Walk on Team Harper's Heartbreakers!  It was our second year participating and it did not disappoint.  It is amazing to see all the people that come to support this community of people and families.  Bucky and the UW band lead the walkers around the Capitol building (aka "the castle" according to Sul).  Then there is a bounce house, band, face painting, crafts, auction and lots more in the Monona Terrace.  The band is definitely a highlight, especially for little Miss Harper:)





The rest of the day was not quite this happy and joyful.  About 20 minutes after we got home, Sully and the hubs were goofing off and Sully was jumping on his bed.  Apparently Sully jumped backward and the back of his head hit his headboard.  I heard the bang and the crying but just figured it was another bruise to the head.  Then I hear the hubs calling my name saying there is blood.  I rush up to find the back of his head full of hair matted with blood.  I could see a huge gash and we knew he need stitches.  I grabbed a towel and held pressure to the area and the bleeding let up.  We took him to UC where the applied some topical numbing medicine, but it might as well have been water.


Next came the injections of lidocaine and the stapling and it went exactly how you think it would go when one puts staples in an almost 3 year old's little head.  It was awful.  I had him on my lap and hugged him as close as I could while the nurse held his head steady and the hubs held his hands down and the doc did the stapling, all with a giant, hot spotlight on us.  Honestly, I don't think it could have been any more traumatic for any of us.  Here is what it looks like today, after his bath.


After that trauma, we were all a little shot.  So we decided we all needed some ice cream.


  He is back to his old crazy self today, no worries.

Since this post is getting long and I have a Packer game to watch, I will share Sully's first pumpkin carving tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear he is doing ok!

Marzena said...

Poor guy. At least he's all smiles with the ice cream in hand.