Monday, October 21, 2013

Pregnant + toddler

Although this is not my first pregnancy, it brings brand new challenges and obstacles that my first did not.  I think that pregnancy, in general, is a trying time for most couples.  There are a lot of adjustments, surprises and anxieties that accompany pregnancy.

And with this one, a toddler accompanies the pregnancy.  Yes, it is nothing short of exhausting.  Constantly feeling like you are navigating through some bizarre hostage situation controlled by a tiny human.  Always negotiating with them to eat something more that teddy grahams and granola bars, wear a jacket or even a shirt for that matter and take a bath.  Don't even get me started on the bribery and elaborate reward system that you set up for an actual pee or poop on the potty (which has not yet happened for him but me and the hubs have accumulated lots of stickers and M&Ms).  It is a continuous stream of coaxing, encouraging and praising for good behaviors.

But there are also times that just make you laugh.  Like this morning, for instance.  There I was, in the middle of the kitchen just about to get Sul something for breakfast, no where near a bathroom, when I had the urge to vomit (as I have for the last 10+ weeks at least 1-2 times per week).  So I puked, well mostly dry heaved, right in the sink.  Sully was right next to my leg saying, "you puking?"  "Yeah," I choked out between heaves.  Approximately 5-10 seconds later he says, "You done puking yet?  I need something to eat!"  After the puking incident when I was getting him his Cheerios he says, "Next time make sure you puke in the bucket."  Ok buddy, I will try next time.


"Mom, mom, mom, get a picture of me eating."

In the beginning of my pregnancy, his daycare providers would tell me that he would tell them that he was tired and sick and had to lay down.  I was not announcing my pregnancy yet so I really could not tell them he was saying this because that is what he heard me say everyday.  I am not going to lie, we spent many a Monday watching episode after episode of Team Umizoomi, Dora and Bubble Guppies.  Oh well, we both survived just fine.

And now I am on to embellishing onsies, decorating baby girl's room and getting Sul used to the idea of having a baby sister.  He often times says, "our baby" and it melts me.  Like, "is this where our baby is going to sleep?" or "this toy is for our baby."  Sometimes he will come up to my belly and pat it so tenderly, I nearly cry.  I can't wait for these two to meet and see what their relationship will be like.  In some ways, it is even more exciting that waiting for your first child.  Anticipating and imagining the interaction between the siblings is so unexpectedly fascinating.

Obviously, there will be bumps along the way between them.  Sul already is reinforcing this with his occasional and nonchalant attempts to injure me and baby with his perfectly thrown spiral football that is aimed directly at my belly or when he just randomly comes up to me and hits my belly just to see how I will react.  Yes, there will be fights and arguing and teasing between the two.  But I hope that more than all that, there will be love.

No comments: