Saturday, December 15, 2012

Now what?

On the evening of the day that 20 children and 6 adults were gunned down in an elementary school in CT, we took our son to an elementary school for his daycare holiday program.


The significance of this event, on that particular day was not lost on me.  I continually had to blink back the tears, as I am doing right now, while I was there making happy, holiday memories with my child, while also thinking about those children and parents whom cannot do the same today.


Sully and daddy watching the program.  Of course he was too young to participate but they still jazzed him up with some feathers and let him wear a mask for a bit.



They were all happy, all excited to be there.  Their parents proud and smiling while taking pictures and video of the event.


What happens between now and twenty-something?  What is missing?  What are we forgetting to do?


Is it really only about finding someone who is losing their way?  Is it really all about gun or ammunition control?  To me, these seem more defensive, less proactive.  Are we missing the point completely?


I don't know.  I don't claim to have the answer.  But it seems to me that some basics might be missing.  Like respect for human life.  Every human life.  Even in the midst of hardship, illness, financial ruin... with a gun in the next room.

There is still caring and compassion in the world.  It is evident when a perfect stranger dresses up as Santa to really talk and listen to kids he does not even know.

 He would not sit on Santa's lap, but he would play football with him.




I don't know what happens now, but something has to happen so that something good can come out of this mess.

No comments: