Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Death at 60 mph

Warning:  If you don't like looking at dead animals, you may want to skip this post.





For the rest of you, in case you were ever wondering what a deer looks like when you hit one going 60 mph, let me show you.









I seriously thought I decapitated the poor thing but I guess I just snapped its neck.  I have never hit a deer and the whole experience has made me feel ill.  We were 2 hours away from home and I was returning by myself to a wedding where my hubs was partying it up when this poor doe came dashing out of a corn field right in front of my husband's car that I was driving.  I called my Mom and Dad and brother and then the police and then the insurance company.  Lets just say that the customer service of my insurance company was subpar and I spent approximately 50 minutes on hold waiting to talk to some one there who would call a tow company as the vehicle was not driveable (cracked and leaking radiator).



I felt like a first class jerk and I didn't want to have call my hubs and tell him that I wrecked another vehicle of his.  When we were dating in college I was driving his car and was rear ended at a stop light, the car was totaled.

He was very understanding and less annoyed with me than I probably would have been with him if our positions were reversed.  Luckily, the air bags did not deploy and it was not a significant jolt that I needed to go to the ER and have baby checked out (I did get checked out on Monday and baby is all good).

I would recommend that if you ever hit a deer or are in a serious accident, don't do it on a weekend.  We were unable to get a hold of any auto repair places on Sunday so our car was not towed to a shop until Monday and the insurance adjuster was not there until today.  The good news is it is not a total loss, it is fixable.  Only $6,400.00 in damage plus the tow charges.  Thank God for insurance!  We will only have to pay $500.  

I also want to point out that if a deer ever jumps out in front of you, DON'T swerve to miss it.  You run the risk of rolling your car and really getting hurt.  Just keep on your path on the road.  It all could have been much worse and I am thankful it wasn't.

And the final lesson from this experience, if you don't have rental coverage which covers the cost of a rental car when your car is being fixed included in your insurance policy, get it now!!  If you ever need it, it will be worth it.  We don't have it but you can bet we will be adding it ASAP!

No comments: