Saturday, April 19, 2014

New kitchen, please!

We have been living in our house for 8 1/2 years now.  We have managed to do a few things to the house in that time, ripped out the awful carpet in the downstairs bathroom and installed tile and new sink, vanity and toilet, painted every room (some rooms twice), removed wallpaper, replaced many of the light fixtures, installed built-in shelves in the living room, shelving in the basement, new roof and revamped the outside of the house a bit.  We also did some things to the kitchen, swapped out the old pulls on the drawers and cabinets, cut down the half wall and installed a tile top table with stools, installed a corner built in and removed the dated railing above the cabinets and valence over the sink.  All of these changes has helped improve the look and functionality of the kitchen, but I have bigger dreams for my kitchen.  I don't anticipate moving any time soon, if ever, so any time and effort and money put into the kitchen will be worth it.  Problem is, with two kids in daycare, money is tight.  However, I don't feel like I have to wait until the daycare days are over in order to change up my kitchen.  Because, lets be honest, we will just find something else that will suck our money from our bank accounts.

A few weeks ago, may parents came and helped install a new microwave above the stove.


We had to lift the cabinet above the microwave to give proper clearance above the stove.


But I love the effect it has.  I would like to lift the one above the fridge as well.


Placing the microwave above the stove has freed up precious counter space for us (so we could just clutter it up with baby stuff).  It made a HUGE difference and inspired me to start the process for a kitchen redo.  

I have thought long and hard about new cabinetry and have decided that we will just paint the cabinets that we have since we are not going to be able to really change up the foot print of the kitchen and the they are in good shape and function properly.  Also, its greener;)  Since these cabinets obviously are your standard, builders grade variety, I would like to add molding to the tops and maybe even some glass fronts on a few of the uppers.  

Next, the fact that we bought a stainless steel microwave gives it away that we will be replacing our appliances with ones that are stainless steel.  The next appliance to be replaced will be the refrigerator, then the dishwasher and finally the stove.

Currently, the counter top is your basic ugly laminate and there is no back splash right now.  I have always loved subway tile so that is what I have in mind for the back splash.  I have no idea what we will do for the counter top.  I do love granite but that may not be in our budget.  We will have to see.

I have been thinking about this for 8 years so I was pleasantly surprised to be browsing Pinterest and run across some one who did all of those things to her kitchen (minus the subway tiles).  I was linked to this post on her blog, Everywhere Beautiful.  Here is her before kitchen:

Photo from blog -everywhere beautiful-. 

And here is her after kitchen:

Photo from blog -everywhere beautiful-.

It is great to see it all came together and there was a huge impact on a small budget.  Now to show this to the hubs and convince him to get started now.  He is a function guy, meaning if it functions, it is fine.  This will take some sweet talking:)

Also, mom and dad- when can you come help me???

No comments: