Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Addiction...

There are some addictions I have going on right now....


The first is books.  I have had an insatiable appetite for books this summer.  My previous relentless house projects have given way to this new obsession.  I will say that my bank account likes this addiction much more than my house project obsession...  But back to books,  I can't read enough of them.  For the first time in my life, I have started reading a new book before ending the previous book. And while reading those two books, I have listened to books on CD in the car during my commute to and from work.  The obsession does not seem to be letting up any time soon.  I just picked up two more books on CD from the library tonight and another one to actually read because I am almost done with the one I am currently reading.  I fear that I may run out of great books to read.  I am not kidding, I seriously fear this even though that is absurd and irrational.  So if you have read any great books lately, I would love some recommendations!!




The second is Fitbitting.  


I got a Fitbit Charge in May and I have been determined to reach my step goal of 10,000 steps daily.  There are only a handful of days that I have not done so (like today).  I don't get a ton of steps at work (to my surprise) so I really have to work at it.  I get to work 20 minutes early for a walk, try to take one at lunch which does not always happen, and then take one in the evening which may entail dragging the kids and the blind dog along.  As a result, the kids and I got to see some pretty cool stuff!  There is a small airport at the end of our road.   Sydney and I saw a couple electric planes being flown around one day.  Several times, we have seen small planes taking off and flying around.


Right before this plane took off, the pilot actually unhitched his window, said hi and waved to us.  It was pretty cool!  When the weather cools off, they set off hot air balloons from this tiny airport.



It has been so fun to see these things and have these memories with the kids!  All this walking has made me consider taking up running again.  I had not run since before I was pregnant with my second pregnancy.  I have never really been a "runner" even though I participated in cross country in high school a few years and I have run a few 5Ks and an 8K right after I had Sully.  But I was basically too lazy to step it up this summer.  That is, until I received a text from a friend asking if I would run a half marathon in November with her.  You read that right, a half marathon.  And I just went ahead and agreed to it.  What?!?  So I am starting my 3rd week of running a few days a week.  During the week, I usually have to run in the morning because I just can't swing it in the evenings.  And I have to say, this might be my newest addiction.  The "running high" is a real thing!  Pretty much addicted to to it.  I am having to go 2 days in a row without running this week and it is killing me.  In the past when I was training for a running event, I looked forward to the days I could rest.  Now I dread the days I have to rest.  It is bizarre and I have never felt like this before!  I don't even care about losing out on sleep to run.  I get some time to myself.  To think.  To write loads of blog posts in my head and never get them "on paper."  AND I can get 10,000 steps before the day even starts!  I even ran in the rain one morning.  I am officially a crazy person.

No comments: