Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Bravery


“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if 

he's afraid?'


'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father 



told him.” 


I have recently seen my hubs teaching my son about "bravery."  Although you may not think picking up a bug, trying a new food or allowing your Mama to leave the room without you, trusting her to return to you, fits your definition of bravery, it certainly does in our house.  

But conversely, my toddler is teaching me some lessons on "bravery."  



This little man recently went on his first field trip, it was to the "farm."  I had talked it up all week.  Talked about how he would go to the farm and how fun it would be and about all the cool animals he would see.  When that Friday rolled around, he woke up that morning and said, "I go to the farm today."  I said, "yes, yes Sully.  You will go to the farm today."  But as I drove to him to school/daycare, he started to melt.  He started crying when I stopped in front of the familiar building saying, "No, I want to go to the farm!"  And no matter how many times I assured him that he would go to the farm that day, he didn't believe me.  Even  when Miss Deb told him that they had to wait for the bus to pick them up later to go to the farm, he looked dubious.  As if we suddenly changed our minds and scratched the whole trip.

I could hardly stand to envision him sitting, so little and sweet, on a big yellow bus.  Probably a big yellow bus identical to the ones that we see every morning, when discuss all the kids that must be on those buses.  I would imagine him sitting next to another little friend or a teacher, because I do not dare to imagine him sitting all alone.


I was told by his teacher (because I called as soon as I thought they would be back to ask about it) that he "had a really great time."  I was told that he played on the slides and swings and loved all the animals.  I was told that he "of course feel asleep on the bus ride home."  Which made me smile because he almost always falls asleep in the car.


Later, at home, the little Mister himself told me, "I feed the goats. Miss Kim hold the cup with food.  I feed the goats food."  And 2 weeks later, he still recalls this experience.


He took on this experience without batting an eye, without thinking twice about "what if."  He trusted that everything was going to be "ok" and "fun."  Like when he does trust falls off of the counter at home (and Thank God I always have been able to catch him).


Without his Mama or Daddy holding his hand.  What a champ.


And I let him go.  It is the first of countless field trips and adventures that he will take without me.  And I have to be alright with that.  It was great practice for me.  I did ok:)


We were both brave, and will continue to be brave.  Each in our own way.  Him pushing his way into this large world, seeking knowledge and experiences and trying to figure out just were he fits into it.  Me letting him do this, many times without me.


For now, I am going to enjoy when he comes home and tells me all about what he saw and what he did.  Because there will come a day when he won't tell me all about what he did and what he saw during his adventures.


And I will be ok with that.  But I will still be be there in case he does.

No comments: