Saturday, October 20, 2012

No Magic

There is no such thing as magic.  It took me a long time to realize this.  As a child, I believed in it and looked for it everywhere.  Under rocks, in small containers and satchels, behind doors, in the woods.  But I never found any.  It only exists in books and movies.  And sometimes in our own heads.

This realization goes along with being an adult.  I think once you turn 30, you need to stop thinking you will find some.  I seriously believe this is essential.

The absence of a magical crutch will force one to take some responsibility.  Put some work forth.

Everyday at work, I see example after example of people holding out for some magic.  If they would just be prescribed that perfect drug or the right ointment, their problem will be solved.  If only they could find thee provider that is the smartest, most up-to-date.  Why can't some one just help them already??

I am here to tell you, stop.  Stop looking, stop making it some one else's job to fix you.  Stop looking for that cause/effect relationship that does not exist.

I know that is hard.  Human nature does not allow this to happen easily.  There always needs to be some one, some thing, to blame.  It is some one else's fault.  Not mine.

It is an epidemic.  I see it all the time.

But sometimes, things just happen.  Sometimes people who have never smoked a cigarette get lung cancer.  Sometimes men get breast cancer.  Freak accidents happen everyday.

Sometimes it is no one's fault.  There is nothing to take the blame.  It just is.

No comments: