Monday, January 16, 2012

Do over

We moved into our house 6 years and 3 months ago.  Our bedroom was the first room I painted and "decorated".  Since then, the wall color and furniture has stayed the same but the comforters and room arrangement has changed.  I finally found a comforter I liked last winter.  But now, I am bored with the room.  Here it is...




See nothing wrong with it.  It is a perfectly good room.  But we have lived in it for 6 years.  So I need a change.  I would love to say I am going to do a full "remodel" of the room but that would be exaggerating.  I am not going to be adding any architectural features, bumping out a wall or even repainting.  I am going to add some color.  This brown and blue palate needs wake up.  So this is more of a bedroom "refresh".

So here is what I have been working on...

Quilt:



Yeah, I am loving it.  I am still working on getting the layers together though.  I have had a few hiccups but I will get it eventually.

Wall art:
Ok, this is going to be unexpected so just bear with me...















Yikes!  Right?  Yeah, I wanted to use some antlers for an art project for above the bed.  So what do I do?  I call my mom.  She was able to round up some discarded, unused carcasses deer skulls.  And then we made some deer hair broth.  Well, we just needed to get the meat and hair off of one of the skulls so my dad boiled it on the grill for about 20 minutes.  (Don't you love it when you parents share that same enthusiasm for your delusions ideas?)



And the cleaned products.


So those two along with one from my parents were spray painted white.


Then my dad whipped up a board to display them and I polyurethaned it today.



Looking at the skulls, they seemed a bit too literal and raw to me.  So I wrapped them with some yarn I had laying around from my knitting days and this is a more abstract version that will be mounted on the wood panels.


Curtains/drapes:

Not sure yet.  I have some ideas but nothing concrete yet...

I know, you are thinking I have really lost my mind but I assure you, I have not.  Hang in there and don't judge it until I show you the final product.  I am hoping to get it done sometime in February so you won't have long to wait!

2 comments:

Susie said...

Love, love, love the quilt. Not sure about the skulls yet, but I have faith in your artistic abilities :)

Subes

Candi said...

Lol, I was a little worried for you when i came to the boiling of the heads. But the after pictures took that away. it's a great idea and I think it would look cool...