Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter

 It's Easter Sunday and when life includes a toddler, that is a very exciting day.

Just look at that lazy smart Easter bunny, putting the basket in such a strategic location so the Sullymon is sure to see it.


First, the "caaaa?" caught his eye.  Then he noticed the snack container and we immediately had to fill it with Goldfish.



And then, brace yourself, he found "a caaa-ow?" that says "ooooooo."



I have to admit, right here, that we will not be attending any sort of church services on this holiday as we have not on any other holiday either.  I grew up a practicing Catholic and the major holidays revolved around a church ceremony and then a family get together with lots of food, cousins and gifts.  As I have grown and started making my own decisions regarding religion, I realized that the Catholic church was just not for me for a variety of reasons.  However, I do believe in a higher being (although I don't know what the name of it is).  We are not Atheists (not that there is anything wrong with that).  Honestly, I am having a hard time deciding how to incorporate any sort of spirituality or religious perspective in Sully's life.  I do think it is important but I truly do not want to participate in any organized religion at this point of my life and I am done faking it so I am not going to drag him to a church that I don't feel comfortable in as a feeble attempt to incorporate some sort of connection to a higher being because I don't know how else to do it.

So, I know this could open myself up to criticism or preaching but I am hoping some one might have a book to suggest or even ideas as to how I could go about teaching Sully about a God.  As each holiday goes by and I continue to fail at injecting any sort of spirituality into my child's life, I feel a pang of guilt and know that I should be making it a priority.  I honestly just don't know how right now.

But I will figure it out, I am sure.  Just like all aspects of this parenting business, you figure out what works for you and your family.  And if it looks different than some one else's way of doing things, that is OK.

Until we figure it out, I am just going to enjoy my little super hero today.











Happy Easter everyone!

2 comments:

Tiff said...

If you're looking for a quick and non-threatening read regarding what you just talked about...you should check out "Blue Like Jazz: non-religious thoughts on Christian spirituality" by Donald Miller. :)

Mama Bird said...

I absolutely am! Thank you, I will definitely check it out!